Below you will find
Energy Saving Suggestions
for several different sections
of your home!
7 Water Heating Suggestions
- Install a water-heater wrap per manufacturer's instructions.
- Insulate exposed hot water lines.
- Limit shower length to under 8 minutes.
- Install low-flow shower heads.
- Fix any faucets that are dripping.
- Don't let the water continue to run while shaving or brushing your teeth.
- Set water heater temperature no higher than 120 F.
8 Kitchen Suggestions
- Switch your refrigerator's power-saver to "ON", if available.
- Clean refrigerator coils annually.
- Set the fridge temperature to 34-37 F and freezer temperature to 0-5 F.
- Unplug unused refrigerators or freezers.
- When cooking on the stove/range, use pot lids to help food cook faster.
- Only run the dishwasher when fully loaded.
- Use air-dry cycle instead of heat-dry cycle to dry dishes.
- If you are heating water, use hot tap water instead of cold.
4 Miscellaneous Suggestions
- Turn off all electronics (TVs, computers, monitors, coffee makers, etc) when not in use.
- Unplug battery chargers when not needed.
- Ensure all new appliances you purchase are Energy-Star approved.
- Install an energy efficient thermostat (like the NEST, below) for additional savings on your heating and air bill.
One NEST thermostat is provided with each solar purchase.
8 Laundry Suggestions
- Do only full laundry loads
- If you must do smaller loads, adjust the water level in the machine to match the load, especially when using hot water.
- Always use cold water rinse.
- Use bath towels at least twice before washing.
- Clean your dryer's lint trap before each load.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Use hot water only for very dirty loads.
- Verify dryer vent hose is tightly connected to inside wall fitting & to dryer.
- Consider using an old-fashioned clothes line, the original "solar powered" dryer.
4 Lighting Suggestions
- Replace all light bulbs with LED lights, especially those that burn more than one hour per day.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Use a timer for lights that you may want to keep on/off at times when you may not be home.
- Use outdoor security lights with a motion sensor.
19 Heating & Air Suggestions
- Set thermostats to 78 F in summer & 68 F in winter.
- Change HVAC filters monthly, facing in the correct direction.
- Run ceiling fans blowing down (summer) & blowing up (winter).
- Insulate electric wall plugs & wall switches with foam pads.
- Caulk along baseboards with a clear sealant.
- Close fireplace dampers when not burning a fire.
- Ensure attic access door closes tightly.
- Insulate attic access door.
- Make sure insulation in your attic does not block soffit vents.
- Do not close off unused rooms that are conditioned by forced-air systems.
- Do not close supply air registers.
- Ensure windows and doors are properly weather-stripped.
- Have your HVAC system serviced once per year.
- Make sure all windows are properly sealed.
- Make sure all window mounted AC units are properly sealed with weather-stripping.
- Minimize use of electric space heaters.
- Ensure that any registers located on the floor are not blocked by rugs, drapes, or furniture.
- Verify all outdoor doors close and seal tightly.
- Always run your HVAC system fan on "Auto." Running it on "ON" uses more electricity and can decrease your air conditioner's ability to remove moisture.